Before we hear of any tragic incidents of people dying from Carbon Monoxide whilst out camping we wanted to try and educate you – this will take about a minute to read, but may save you or someone you know life so please read it.
There are two main issues with cooking in a tent
Firstly: Your tent might be fire resistant but is everything else that you have put inside your tent, chairs, clothes etc. and if these set alit, by you accidently knocking over your cooker, and then this can set alight your tent.
Secondly: cooking in confined spaces can burn up oxygen and create carbon monoxide on this can be deadly, this is probably more dangerous than the first as you can’t see, taste or smell the gas. You may think everything is fine.
Carbon monoxide; Carbon monoxide (CO), also called carbonous oxide, is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas that is slightly lighter than air. It can be toxic to humans and animals when encountered in higher concentrations.
We have a clear policy and stance
Never ever cook in your tent, / next to your tent, either cook in the rain if you have to or eat your food cold (if its safe to do, cold beans won’t hurt you, won’t taste great but at least you will be breathing in air and not carbon monoxide).
I know the temptations can be there especially when it’s raining, I’ve been tempted myself and I know the dangers, but I’ve never done it, and the more I read and learn, the more I realise the dangers and now I will NEVER cook in my tent, I would rather miss a meal than take the risk.
On a smaller note: where possible try not to eat in your tent, spilt food and crumbs attracts, insects bugs and rodents and you don’t want these in your tent, most people moan that this is the key reason why they don’t want to go camping, so by not eating in your tent you are reducing the chances of having insects in your tent..
So please don’t cook in your tent, and where possible don’t eat in your tent either.
During the summer months of 2011, there were 3 reported cases on BBC.co.uk of where people had died from cooking in their tents, please people think about those when you next start cooking in your tent.
Thats three articles which made it to the BBC site in one summer, many others wont have. While 2011 might seem like a long time ago – there always seems to be tragic event every year.
Please pass this onto everyone you know who goes camping, whether that’s holiday camping, night fishing camping or camping because of their job, using a camping cooking in a tent is dangerous, and that you should cook away from your tent.
We don’t want you to stop going camping, far from it, we want everyone to go camping and enjoy the great British countryside, we just want people to do it safely.
This article might be about cooking in your tent – but this also applies to having Gas lanterns in your tent.
How often do you hear the below quote, just because you have never had any issues and been fortunate it doesn’t mean there is a huge risk.
What not to do:
We Thank you for reading this and educate people when out and about camping.